Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Post 5

I will be the first to admit I know little or nothing about environmental politics, and so this week I am definitely not on the advantageous part of the learning curve.  I went to World Wildlife Foundation to see what they do for the environment, and I was surprised at how many partners they had, claiming aid to them and their cause.
My first impression of the McKenzie Watershed Council reading was to laugh.  I say this because I have a friend who, one day out of the blue, decided to run for the McKenzie Watershed Council Soil Conservation Manager (not sure which zone).  He did this partly for laughs, and partly because he knew he would win the election because no one ever ran for Soil Conservation Manager of that zone.  Fortunately for society, he didn't make the ballot because his name didn't get submitted in time.
I love how the organization created a cleanup day with other local environmental nonprofit groups; this shows that they are willing to work with others to achieve a legitimate end, and collecting trash, cleaning culverts of debris, and cleaning camp sites is something organizations can do together.

I really enjoyed the commencement speech given by Paul Hawken to the 2009 class from University of Portland.  I liked that he said that the earth couldn't send any limos or recruiters, but instead it sent beautiful jasmine and ripe cherries.  Join a multitude of caring people, and your work will be rewarded with future generations being as lucky as you were.

The final article was great because I like how the authors pointed out the anti-environmental organizations operating under different auspices.  I appreciate that they took the time to research each one, although some of the organizations are those that, even though legitimate, I would never support because of the pure annoyance they cause to me in everyday life.  I think that many of the organizations, such as Greenpeace, could focus less of their time on getting people to pledge and instead focus on helping the earth, and their good deeds would make people want to participate.

3 comments:

  1. Erin,

    I also really liked how the McKenzie Watershed Council had a cleanup day with other local environmental nonprofits. I think part of why they have been so successful is because they have become so involved with the community at large. I'm glad you enjoyed the Paul Hawkin's speech as well. I thought there were so many great quotes in it. Definitely a good resource for future papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,

    It's interesting reading about everything that the McKenzie Watershed Council does. I too often wonder what happens with their unfilled positions because it seems like almost no one ever runs. Do they just appoint someone? Just as a joke I right my name into their write candidate spot election after election. I also like how much the MWC does to protect the water. It amazes me when I see people I know in Eugene/Springfield who filter their tap water not because it tastes bad or has anything in the water but because they want their water to taste more like bottled water because that's what they think water should taste like. We have some of the best tap water in the country here. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    Thanks for the post. Regarding the clean-up day, I was thinking thank goodness for the nonprofit sector and the time and effort volunteers put towards helping the community. Once again nonprofits and community members shine by placing importance on the environment. Not only are they cleaning up the community but but also working together at it. Just when you think that America could not get any worse, you hear about something cool.

    ReplyDelete